Myths and Stigmatizing Language
People are often unaware that they may be reinforcing myths and using stigmatizing language. It can negatively affect those suffering the loss, and dishonors the memory of the one lost to suicide.
Examples of myths and stigmatizing statements
- A soldier is tough, how did this happen?
- The stereotype of the “He’s just another broken vet,”
- “She/He chose a warrior’s death,”
- He/she were a quitter, a coward, He/she chose the weak and selfish route, and
- We went through so much together, he/she should have talked to me.
Remember your friend or family member in life, not how they died.